Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

NOT ALL ALTERED BOOKS HAVE TO START AS "BOOKS"...

We are enjoying Altered Book Month at the Altered Arts Magazine Blog!  So many wonderful ideas and tutorials.  I hope you've visited us!

I am showing a journal I made with sponsor products, back in September.  This is an empty book that is just a book.  Wonderfully empty pages inside!  Just waiting for something to be written on them.  But books like this don't have to stay plain.  Altering the cover is a fun way to make a plain book your own.
SUPPLIES:

Gather your supplies.....

Take out just one piece of the collage tissue.  The sheets are super big and there are a lot in the pack.  Get your gel medium and a paintbrush.  Paint a thin layer of gel medium on the journal and place the tissue on top.  You can also collage the tissue onto the cover.  Either way it's a fabulous look.

After it is dry, rub the ink all over the tissue.

The ink is a subtle way of brightening the journal up.  The collage tissue is called "Life" and I circled all the "Life" words on it.  I also circled a few other words.  I added some gauze to the lower center of the journal and a piece of rope.  Then I placed the canvas tag on top, some corrugated cardboard and a little tag.  I glued the other piece of rope to the back.  Some gauze and flowers on the left, and a few paperclips on the right were the finishing touches.  I use this as a handwriting journal.

So, is this an altered book. or is it just a decorated book?  Is it good the way it was or did you hear it asking for a make over too?  

Keep visiting the Altered Arts Magazine Blog.  There are lots more Altered Book posts to come!!

5 comments:

  1. I love that you made this book your own by altering the cover! It definitely needed a little jazzing up, and the tissue paper was a great choice! I will try your techniques on one of my plain notebooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, I love this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. Any book, journal or binder is better after being altered with Creative Bliss. Lovely Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so gorgeous! I made an Art Journal without an actual book, as well. Miss talkin' with ya!! Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete